Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Perspective - If I were a rich man - la la la la la la laaa

First off - any one get my Fiddler on the Roof reference? Takes me back to 8th grade choir... anyways

I consider myself to be a very blessed gal financially. I have a great job and so does hubbin. We ain't make no 6 figgers', but we get along just fine... but there's a small part of me that was born an entreprenuer and I'm always trying to think of ways to make an extra buck. Whether it be to finance a new home project, my hobbies or my shopping fund, I sometimes find myself with an insatiable appetite to make more money! Ugh!

UNTIL - one Sunday morning in church - I found myself in another sermon about money. WAIT! Don't stop reading! This is different. You're thinking not another rich church preaching on tithing, cuz this was a different kind of Sunday mornin' money sermon.

A sermon on perspective. A lesson on giving back. An eye opening reality on just how blessed we are as Americans.

Here's the facts: (these were pulled from my sermon notes, which I believe were pulled from a website supporting the fight on world hunger - 'World Harvest' I think... don't quote me)

If you make more than $25,000 a year, you are wealthier than 90% of the world's 7 billion people.

If you make more than $50,000 a year, you are wealthier than 99% of the world's 7 billion people.

Half of the world's 7 billion people live on less than $2/day.

93% of the world's 7 billion people do not own a car.

Sooo... instead of trying to sell refurbished furniture for side funds, or launch a mini photography business on the side of my day job, maybe I ought to use my artsy fartsy-ness to raise money for a more worthy cause? Lots of thoughts swirling around in my head on this one. I'll keep you posted on the status of all this... feeling very inspired to give more to those who have less.

No comments:

Post a Comment