Saturday, February 6, 2010

The Perfect Winter Weekend


You could say it was the universe aligning - I say it was God's good and perfect timing. The past few weekends in my life have been busy and emotional. My parents have been in town from Findlay visiting, due mostly to the fact that my youngest sister (Abbey) high tailed it out of Findlay a few weeks ago, and has since been living back and forth with Alaina (my other sister - who is a year younger than me) and I. Having an adolescent living with you can be very draining, especially one with Abbey's level of complexities in her life. I won't go there, but if you ever feel so compelled to pray for a young person in your own life, please think of my sister Abbey and send a prayer for her too. This is not the point of my entry on this fine wintry morning, but it is essential to the story. This weekend was looking to be like an uneventful one - I was pumped. After 3 consecutive weekends of visitors, my house was a mess and I was exhausted. I needed a weekend of NOTHING! The weather-lady was forecasting another huge winter storm and what do you know she was right! This weekend was getting better and better! An early release from work on Friday (due to deteriorating road conditions) was the cherry on top of the closing work week. With a pantry full of food, dry wood in the garage(for a roaring toasty fire of course) and a fresh shipment of wine from a tasting party a week ago, being snowed in was better than I could have asked for. Here's some other items - that in my opinion - make for a perfect winter weekend....
1. Zero Plans.
2. Snow - check! (and plenty of it)
3. The perfect pair of gray sweat pants and college sweatshirt, circa 2001.
4. Soup! Italian Sausage - from EatBetterAmerica.com
5. Fire in fireplace - duh!
6. Wine and coffee
7. A weeks worth of DVRed shows, books and unread magazines.
8. Internet and inspiration for blogging.
9. 2 cute dogs :)
10. A good friend or lover to bunker down with - my husband. You have to find your own of course. Mine's booked for the weekend.

Stay warm and indulge a little in the comforts of a perfect winter weekend.

Picture courtesy talents of Jared Williamson

2 comments:

  1. My crazy-good dances moves can't hurt either.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good post! It made me happy to be sitting in my sweatpants and one of 50 marathon t-shirts that I registered for but did not run in.

    ReplyDelete